Watch Ferndown First School on YouTube

Second place at the East Dorset finals.

Mr Wilcox and Mrs Price took 10 children to the East Dorset Y4 football finals, held at Ferndown Leisure Centre. Two of our school teams got through, a boys team and a girls team, so Mr Wilcox had an incredibly hard job picking his squad to take, but he picked a very strong team made up of both boys and girls. There were 6 other teams there, made up of winners from previous tournaments.


Our first game was against the eventual winners, St Ives. They played a really strong side, but Blake managed to get a good shot away from a Tobie corner early on. However, they scored from the resulting cross. Charlie then made a great save but the rebound fell kindly to their striker who slotted past him, before the ended the game by curling a goal in from the edge of the area. 3-0 loss.


The second game was a closer affair, against Wimborne St. Giles. We had more of the play, and somehow hadn’t scored in the first half. The Wimborne goal was peppered in the second half but nothing would go in. From a corner, the ball came out to Henry who had a shot from just over the halfway line, which sailed in to the net. A goal! The final whistle blew before they could kick off again. 1-0 win!


Out third game was against Rushcombe. Tobie scored straight from kick off, to all our supporters surprise as we hadn’t seen it go in! Blake then “scored” again, but as we did not have a crossbar on the pitch, it was disallowed. In the second half, Henry scored again when his cross was palmed into his goal by the Rushcombe keeper. They came back into the game with a shot that just went over, before Charlie made a great save from the next attack. 2-0 win!


After a rest, we played against Hillside school. They started strongly, with a long shot palmed away by Charlie. A minute later, Tobie was played through superbly by Blake, who then finished beyond the onrushing keeper. Blake then got in of the act after the break with his own one-on-one, passing it neatly into the back of the goal. They did get back into the game late on, but it was too late. 2-1 win.


An incredibly frustrating game against St Catherine’s was our penultimate game of the day – we had about 50 shots with none going in. It took the final kick of the game to settle it, where the ball fell kindly to Dylan to shoot into the net. 1-0 win.


Our final game was against St John’s. We went 1-0 down early with a goal straight from a corner somehow settling in the net. Henry tried from long range, but didn’t manage to squeeze the ball into the net. In the second half, we were back in the game where Dylan scored from an inch-perfect corner from Blake. However, a defensive mix up whilst chasing the victory cost us and they managed to score to end our final game with a loss. 1-2 loss.


Overall we came joint second with 4 wins and 2 losses. We went with no expectations, and came out the other end with 4 great results! Thank you to our incredibly supportive parents who came along to support all of our children, but most importantly, well done to Charlie, Henry, Edith, Harry, Blake, Tobie, Amelia, Daisy, Alfie and Dylan.




Leave a comment

Search Our Website


Recent Comments